Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'll have the Balsamic Vinagrette, but on the Side...



So, recently on Twitter, we were discussing some movies that people hadn't seen which are classics. Then, over beers, some friends and I had the conversation that we all have at some point. "What are your top ten comedies of all time???" So I'm gonna give them to you.
Now: I understand you may disagree. If you do, please leave a comment. But understand this is my list, my interpretation. And really, the movie that is at ten could easily be #1. All of these are great, great movies.

JMUmonty's Top Ten Comedies of All time:

1. When Harry Met Sally: Point blank, my favorite movie of all time. Funny, Meg Ryan is hot. Intelligent humor. The best thing for me is that a woman watches the movie, and TOTALLY sides with Sally the whole time. Guy watches right next to her, he agrees with Harry the whole time. It's perfectly written. Beautifully filmed. Funny as shit. Great movie.

2. Caddyshack: Star studded, and these guys are in their prime. Dangerfield is hysterical. Chevy Chase is amazing. Ted Knight....Oh My God. Truly a classic. What more can I say.

3. Fletch: Again, with the Chevy Chase? You betcha. The ultimate smart-ass movie. Tim Mattheson is a great bad guy. And a movie with lines like "Can I borrow your towel, I think my car just hit a water buffalo?" cannot be left off this list. In college we lived on this movie, and guys my age quote this thing 25 year later on a DAILY basis.

4. Anchorman: There are more quotable lines in this movie than any movie the past 25 years. Will Ferrell at his awkward best. Steve Carrell, Paul Ruud, and even Vince Vaughn show up to make this easily the best Frat Pack film to date.

5. Austin Powers, International man of mystery: (One and Two are interchangeable in this position) This movie changed my life, and almost ended it. When I saw the scene with Tom Arnold in the bathroom stall, and Austin yelling "Who does # 2 work for?" I literally almost laughed myself into a coronary. My wife and I still laugh at how hard I was laughing. If you haven't seen this movie tell a friend, leave a note for the ambulance crew, and have 911 punched in already on your cell phone. You may not have any breath left to call them. Hit the button, and they'll hear you writhing with laughter in the background...

6. Animal House. "Mr. Blu-Mr. Blutarsky. Zero. Point. Zero." Belushi. A Legend. At his best.

7. History of the World, Part One. Mel Brooks must have at least one film in a top ten list like this. This is my preference, although I struggled between this, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. (Frahn-ken-STEEN!!!)

8. Wedding Crashers: It's new, but it is funny. I learned how to make balloon animals because of this movie. Motor boating is now a mainstream word. And you have the greatest monologue in comedy film history.

Janice, I apologize to you if I don't seem real eager to jump into a forced awkward intimate situation that people like to call dating. I don't like the feeling. You're sitting there, you're wondering do I have food on my face, am I eating, am I
talking too much, are they talking enough, am I interested I'm not really interested, should I play like I'm interested but I'm not that interested but I think she might be interested but do I want to be interested but now she's not interested? So all of
the sudden I'm getting, I'm starting to get interested... And when am I supposed to kiss her? Do I have to wait for the door cause then it's awkward, it's like well goodnight. Do you
do like that ass-out hug? Where you like, you hug each other like this and your ass sticks out cause you're trying
not to get too close or do you just go right in and kiss them on the lips or don't kiss them at all? It's very difficult trying to read the situation. And all the while you're just really wondering are
we gonna get hopped up enough to make some bad decisions? Perhaps play a little game called "just the tip". Just for a second, just to see how it feels. Or, ouch, ouch you're on my hair.


9. Midnight Run: Robert Deniro in a comedy role. Charles Grodin. Mob accountant. HYSTERICAL. I've got two words for you. "Shut the fuck up." If you haven't seen this, I implore you to add it to your netflix cue...
10. Swingers. This movie is so money, and it doesn't even know it. Launched 2 great careers in Favreau and Vaughn. And best of all, they tout the greatness of video games NHLPA 93 and NHL Hockey 94. "I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for super-fan #99 over here."

Honorable mentions:

Princess Bride
Napoleon Dynamite
Old School
The Hangover (this one needs to age a bit, but I loved it.)
Monty Python's The Holy Grail
Harold and Kumar....I especially liked escape from Guantanamo Bay, but they're both good. NPH steals the show. But it needs to stand the test of time a bit.

Most over-rated comedies. Not that I don't like them, but many people think these are the funniest things going, and I'm not in that boat.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
The Big Lebowski
There's something about Mary (Although this had some great lines, it's not a great movie)

That's it. My next list. Top 10 Action movies of all time. I'll have it posted soon.

13 comments:

  1. Totally agree about There's Something About Mary. I actually couldn't stand that movie. And interesting about When Harry Met Sally. Never realized men could enjoy that film as much as women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best part about it, it that the women are TOTALLY wrong for siding with Meg. That's the secret men never let you in on. We know you support her, but she's wrong and bitchy all along. You guys just can't recognize it anymore, you're so involved in these types of behaviors. We guys think it's a whoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey: Why don't you follow my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to make you think less of me, but I have never seen an Austin Powers movie. And I will go to my grave never seeing one. Sorry, love ya, but I just don't get them. I don't get Napolian Dynamite either. I'm lame, I know. Now When Harry met Sally - I totally get that. But you left off Rat Race. ITPMP when I saw it (figure that one out!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you totally peed your pants when you saw that crap?

    You MUST, and I mean MUST, run, not walk to the store and rent Austin Powers 1. MUST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacey...LOL??? Was that intentional, or did you read my other blog posts???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree on a lot of what you have up there - all funny classics. But Planes, Tranes and Automobiles is pretty funny too, no? The whole part where they're driving the wrong way and then the car catches on fire? Nothing? Also, I never thought of When Harry Met Sally as a comedy until you mentioned it as #1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristen. Nice of you to stop by. I'll comment here since I'll be sleeping and cant torment you on twitter all day. WHMS in my eyes...comedy. Not sure where it falls on the netflix "genres." P,T,aA's.....I just didn't find it even a little bit funny. Not sure why. But if my neighbor's (who yelled about our 4th of July fireworks)car caught on fire...that's F'ing hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My pleasure. Am following you now, so will look forward to hearing more on what you have to say. We agree wholeheartedly on the superiority of Victory Beer and Die Hard being a fine xmas movie, so we'll agree to disagree about PT&As.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will not and you can't make me! I will however watch Elf and the Ricky Bobby BEST MOVIE EVER. For Ricky Bobby I might just LSHIBSOMN!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talladega Nights goes on the list of most over rated comedies. The only real funny part was when they he said grace to the baby jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When Harry Met Sally?? That movie sucks!

    Check ou Waiting for Guffman. Now THAT'S funny.

    ReplyDelete